Sunday, December 13, 2015

Campaigns on the Danube

If I were wrecked on a desert island and I could have only one period of wargame with me to play, it would almost certainly be a Napoleonic game. If I could have only one scale of game it would definitely be Operational - I find that it's at this level that the real artistry of command comes into play, coordinating maneuver, logistics, and tactics to bring about a desired conclusion on the battlefield.

It's quite possible then, if I had to pick a single computer wargame to have with me on my island, it would be Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube.


Viewing the units of Lannes Corps during an 1809 scenario

This is not a new game. In fact, it's ten years old. Thanks to a recent patch from Mr. Hunter and a stunning new map and counter mod by Chemkid, the game looks and plays better than it ever has.

Davout's cavalry about to engage some cavalry and infantry from Kolowrat's corps.
I've owned the game for a few years, but there have always been little niggling things about it, that while not making the game unplayable made it less enjoyable. At the same time I didn't have a great understanding of Napoleonic warfare, particularly operations when I first bought the game. Now, years later courtesy of Frank's continued work and my own increased understanding of the period, I find the game to be absolutely a joy to play.

The actual battle about to begin. The tactical system is easy to grasp and the results easy to understand.
The easiest way for me to describe the game is to say it's Command Ops or Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm for the Napoleonic era. The game is not your traditional chit shuffler. Rather, as the overall commander you issue orders to subordinates, in the form of an objective, a stance (defend, engage, withdraw) and an urgency (from cautious to forced). These orders are then carried to the appropriate commands via messengers, and can take many hours to reach their destination - if they make it at all.

Lefebvre defends north of the Iser while Lannes pushes south along the Danube and Davout assaults Cham
Units are divisions or sometimes brigades in the case of cavalry. While it is possible to issue orders to each division individually, you really don't want to. Instead, orders are issued to the corps that make up your army. The corps commanders are actually very competent at deploying their troops to get their jobs done. I generally only issue commands to individual units if I want to detach some cavalry to scout or an infantry division to garrison an important location.

The Austrians are on the run after several engagements left most of their corps shattered. This time I've been more effective than Charles at concentrating my troops.
The friendly AI is quite good, but so is the enemy AI. After winning an early game quite handily I made some risky moves in my second game, thinking that I could catch the AI napping. Instead I found my troops being thrown back in disarray from a series of skillfully coordinated attacks that punished me for being over extended. It was only by pulling back and consolidating that I was able to avert disaster.

The end of the Austrian Army. Caught by Davout and Lannes against the Danube, there are nothing left but shattered corps as Charles tries to pull north across the river. Note that the weather has been raining for several days, and the map reflects mud conditions.
The game does a superlative job factoring in elements like weather and terrain. Fog of War is extreme in this game. You can even play in a mode where you don't know the exact location of your own units - the units you see on the map are the last reported location, not necessarily where they are now.

Campaigns on the Danube does for 18th century army command at the operational level what the Scourge of War games do for command at the tactical level. Orders move at the speed of a man on horseback, and by the time your orders reach your subordinate the situation may have changed so dramatically that they no longer make sense. Travel slows in bad weather and difficult terrain, making it difficult to coordinate the actions of two or more corps. Subordinates, closer to the actual situation, may not do what you ordered them to do.

There is also a very detailed logistics layer to the game. As the player you can choose to control every aspect of this or you can delegate most of it to the computer, focusing only on the macro decisions. The computer will intelligently place depots and send supply trains out to your corps, but you must determine the placement of your hospital and center of operations. Place them too close to the front lines and you run the risk of them being overrun, too far and your units will have too wait too long for supplies and can't fallback safely if retreating.

A resounding French victory
There is a lot to consider every turn in Campaigns on the Danube. The player does not lack for decisions to make, and these decisions are of greater import than the individual unit shuffling of most wargames. This is a complex game to master, and an excellent illustration of Napoleonic warfare. At the same time it is an easy game to play. Unit orders can be accomplished with just a few clicks each turn and feedback is obvious and complete. Frank Hunter has continued to revamp the UI based on player feedback over the years. While it isn't as slick as newer games the current UI is very functional for a game of this age.

Given the age of the game, I don't have much hope that Matrix or Mr. Hunter will ever release another game using this engine covering other campaigns of the period, but if they did I would buy it instantly. If the idea of playing a game as Napoleon or Charles, leaning over a map in your tent, sending messengers off to your corps appeals to you, the game is on sale during the Matrix holiday sale right now for just $9.99.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, what books would you recommend for Napoleonic operational warfare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I posted some reading ideas in the comments below.

      Delete
  2. I just bought it after reading your review. Looking forward to getting my arse kicked. +1 to the above comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I posted some reading ideas in the comments below.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Tony, I hope you really enjoy the game. By the way, be sure to download and install the latest patch. Note that the game may say that it is at the latest version, but trust me, it isn't. Definitely apply the patch! It makes all the difference.

    In terms of reading about Napoleonic operational warfare, the gold standard is David Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon." I think I learned more in just the first third of this book than all the rest of what I've read. Having said that, this is a big, expensive book, and while very readable is definitely a book for people seriously interested in the subject. If you are into Napoleonics you will eventually end up with a copy of this...but if it's just a passing interest or you are new to the subject, it may be a bit much.

    John Gill's trilogy "1809: Thunder on the Danube" is hands down one of the best treatments of a single campaign I've ever read, Napoleonic or not. As a bonus it covers on of the campaigns in the game, so the game acts as a great reference to the reading. If you buy them on Kindle each book is about $10, so you don't have to drop a huge amount to get the full set and the game. Thanks to Gill's books I've become a bit fixated on this campaign and now own two boardgames and two computer games that cover it.

    There are, of course, the Osprey books too. I found "French Napoleonic Infantry Tactics 1792-1815" to be a decent overview, and the Eckmuhl and Aspern-Essling/Wagram campaign books have some really excellent maps that nicely complement Gill's books.

    I will tell you to be very careful of much of the written material on Waterloo. Being about the only Napoleonic battle most people can name, it attracts a lot of popular writing. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but most of these books focus on a "human interest" angle and don't cover much about actual operations. Beyond that, I'd argue that the 100 Days was not a great example of Napoleonic operations in any case. Certainly a dramatic battle, and somewhat an example of Napoleon's tactic of the "double battle" but not really a "classic" example.

    Hope that provides some ideas for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx Doug for your reading ideas. My first interest is WW2 then 30 Years War Warfare and American Civil War. So Iam quiet new to Napoleonic warfare. After reading your review of COTD I bought it and its a quiet interesting game. As for the books I went for Gills "Thunder on the Danube" Its cheap for the Kindle and so theres not much to loose if the Napi bug dont bites me. BTW I love your Blog. Keept it up mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you are enjoying the game and Gill's trilogy. Our gaming interests are pretty much the same; you may find as I did that Napoleonics really complete the continuum of warfare that begins with the Thirty Years War and leads right up to WW2 and beyond. Certainly it's interesting to compare the Napoleonic period and the ACW, just a few decades apart!

      Delete
  5. I also bought the game immediately after reading this review. Very interesting game mechanics, the great command & control system and wonderful graphical mod. I think that it's the best operational level Napoleonic game I've ever seen. Thanks for review! And of course, the David Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon" is one of my favorite book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite the wonderful little game, isn't it! I agree - there really isn't anything that captures the essence of Napoleonic operations like this!

      Great blog you have, by the way! I enjoy reading your posts a great deal.

      Delete
    2. Hi Doug !

      Thanks for your work, I like your blog!

      I'm an italian player, wargames, boardgames, pc wargames.
      I like only a few pc wargames: Command ops 1 and 2, Steam and iron, Scourge of war series, and now CAMPAIGN On THE DANUBE (as you can see, I'm focused on the new deal of pc wargames... i.e. new ways of dealing with control and command matters!)

      As far as COTD, unfortunately there is a problem with pbem with full fog, an it's very difficult to play it, as I've told in matrix forum (I'm ulisin on matrix forum)

      Anyway, there are some interesting operational boardgames on napoleonic era. Do you have them? I'm thinking of OSG x1 x2 x5 system, and Napoleon 20 series
      Do you play live?
      vassal?
      pbem with Vassal?

      I would buy some of them...

      all the best
      francesco

      Delete
  6. Hi Doug !

    Thanks for your work, I like your blog!

    I'm an italian player, wargames, boardgames, pc wargames.
    I like only a few pc wargames: Command ops 1 and 2, Steam and iron, Scourge of war series, and now CAMPAIGN On THE DANUBE (as you can see, I'm focused on the new deal of pc wargames... i.e. new ways of dealing with control and command matters!)

    As far as COTD, unfortunately there is a problem with pbem with full fog, an it's very difficult to play it, as I've told in matrix forum (I'm ulisin on matrix forum)

    Anyway, there are some interesting operational boardgames on napoleonic era. Do you have them? I'm thinking of OSG x1 x2 x5 system, and Napoleon 20 series
    Do you play live?
    vassal?
    pbem with Vassal?

    I would buy some of them...

    all the best
    francesco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francesco!

      Thanks for the comment! You have hit on my two very favorite Napoleonic board game series. I have all of the currently published OSG battles games, and the Seven Days of 1809. I also have a few of the Napoleon 20 games.

      I've never tried to play any of them via Vassal though I have the Vassal modules for most of them. I would certainly be willing to try!

      Delete