Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pike & Shot

The 16th Century saw the dawn of modern warfare, particularly in the brutal combat of the Thirty Years' War and the English Civil War. This has always been a favorite era of mine to study - but it has always also been an era poorly represented in wargames, particularly computer wargames.

The Swedish center at Lutzen



This week Matrix/Slitherine released the much awaited Pike and Shot. I plan on writing a real review later, but suffice to say this game has occupied me much of the weekend.

Lutzen and Windmill Hill on the left of the Imperial position, under fog of war.

The horse of Swedish right support by musketeers
Despite some abstractions, the game is a good representation of the warfare of the period. The AI is no slouch, either. I've lost more battles than I've won, though I think I'm getting a hang of it. Very enjoyable - chaeck back for a proper AAR soon!

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice looking game with a very clean presentation.

    ReplyDelete