Saturday, March 22, 2014

Steel Beasts Pro PE Coop!

I just spent a couple of hours playing SBPro PE coop with Julio from Real and Simulated Wars, and let me tell you, it was a blast! Really some of the most fun I've had in ages. Julio is a true gentleman and it was a real pleasure to team up with him on a pair of missions. Despite my completely lack of tactical ability on our second joint mission, we had a lot of fun, anyway.

I'm very much inspired to try more online SBPro play. I really do believe now that this game is significantly enhanced when playing with other people - which is saying a lot, since it's already a fantastic sim. There was something really great about Julio and I talking back and forth as we planned our attacks and maneuvered our tanks amidst the crack of the tank cannon and the boom of exploding HE.

If you haven't taken advantage of one of the subscription licensing plans to try SBPro PE out and you're interested in modern armor, you'll be pleased, I think, if you do so. If you're interested in playing a quick online coop mission to get your feet wet before trying something like the weekly TGIF game (which I'll definitely be attending!), let me know. I'll be happy to help you get set up and play a mission with you.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats, Co-op in SB Pro PE is pretty awesome and flexible. You can go from all being in 1 tank, to each having their own, to each controlling a platoon, company, or battalion. I find the best missions are 4 player co-op where each player controls 1 tank. That makes for a great mission without be overwhelmed. Of course you can also do force on force, which can be pretty intense, since it all depends on how good the players are at spotting, not the AI. The ones that see the enemy first usually win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fantastic session. Thanks for taking time to go through those missions.

    The second mission was brutal. We need to get more people and try it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your first SB multiplayer mission! It's one thing to have someone like me blathering in your ear about the superiority of MP over single player; it's another thing to experience it for yourself. Now that you've gotten your feet wet, it's time to jump in! Do try the TGIF game this Friday. (I think JC participated in this past Friday's game - he was on one of the other two teams, but I didn't realize this until I reviewed the AAR file). Also, there is a forthcoming "campaign" (4 or 5 back-to-back missions) scheduled for April 5, being run by Mark Gibson (who posts on JC's blog). BLUEFOR consists of a German battalion task force composed of four company teams from NATO countries. I am on the US team (Combat Team Odysseus). We could certainly use more players, although you are free to join any of the other CTs. We have at least new player, and I'm thinking of putting together some online training sessions prior to the big day. You're welcome to join (as is JC). Mind you, I am not the second coming of Heinz Guderian. The training will focus more on the the basics of unit employment in the SB battlespace and the user interface rather than any mad tactics skilllz. Anyway, keep an eye out on the multiplayer thread at the MP website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LL! I'm going to give the TGIF game a try provided work doesn't interfere as it did this past week. I'm also pretty interested in the upcoming April 5th missions. I'd be interested in joining CT Odysseus if there's still room.

      Are you Rotareneg on steelbeasts.com and Youtube?

      Delete
    2. Disregard that last bit, you must be dta delta. I've posted my interest in the thread over there, too.

      Delete
    3. Heh, so I guessed wrong twice!

      Delete
    4. LOL, no, dta delta (Teamspeak name Assassin7) is much deadlier than I will ever be!

      Delete