Monday, April 21, 2014

Village Z

I've posted my first ever Combat Mission scenario, Village Z, over at battlefront.com!

The scenario is a fictionalized recreation of a German attack along the Kielce-Opatow Road in Poland on August 16, 1944. A description of the actual engagement can be read here.

A platoon of Panthers prepares to advance across the fields
The scenario concerns a dawn attack by a German armor-heavy kampfgruppe to seize a pair of road bridges to secure the route of advance for the 3rd Panzer Division. I wasn't able to find the exact spot on a map for the actual engagement. Instead I created a fictionalized map based on the description of the battle.

A platoon of panzergrenadiers attached to a panzer company wait as tanks advance past them
I don't want to give away too many spoilers for the scenario. Here are a few more pictures of the action.

Panzergrenadiers scout up a low hill to try and sight enemy positions

First blood. A burning T-34/85 lights up the dawn.

Smoke marks the burning Soviet tank on the outskirts of Village Z as the sun rises.
I hope you'll give it a try!

Special thanks to JC at realandsimulatedwars.com  and Chris at Sharp End Gaming for giving the scenario a try and helping work out the kinks!

Update: I've removed the scenario from the Battlefront repository. It wasn't well received and evidently wasn't very good. I'm working on a version with an expanded map to allow some additional maneuvering room which will be made available when I think it's ready.