Monday, April 21, 2014

Village Z

I've posted my first ever Combat Mission scenario, Village Z, over at battlefront.com!

The scenario is a fictionalized recreation of a German attack along the Kielce-Opatow Road in Poland on August 16, 1944. A description of the actual engagement can be read here.

A platoon of Panthers prepares to advance across the fields
The scenario concerns a dawn attack by a German armor-heavy kampfgruppe to seize a pair of road bridges to secure the route of advance for the 3rd Panzer Division. I wasn't able to find the exact spot on a map for the actual engagement. Instead I created a fictionalized map based on the description of the battle.

A platoon of panzergrenadiers attached to a panzer company wait as tanks advance past them
I don't want to give away too many spoilers for the scenario. Here are a few more pictures of the action.

Panzergrenadiers scout up a low hill to try and sight enemy positions

First blood. A burning T-34/85 lights up the dawn.

Smoke marks the burning Soviet tank on the outskirts of Village Z as the sun rises.
I hope you'll give it a try!

Special thanks to JC at realandsimulatedwars.com  and Chris at Sharp End Gaming for giving the scenario a try and helping work out the kinks!

Update: I've removed the scenario from the Battlefront repository. It wasn't well received and evidently wasn't very good. I'm working on a version with an expanded map to allow some additional maneuvering room which will be made available when I think it's ready.

8 comments:

  1. Looks great, will give it a shot... but if this turns out to be a Zombie mod or mission, your removed from my follow list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can guarantee that the scenario is 100% zombie free. Oh man do I hate those zombie games...and tv shows...and books...

      Delete
  2. Plays like a charm. Don't let your Panther tanks make you feel invincible!

    Cheers,

    JC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys, let me know if you have trouble getting vehicles across the south bridge. I've seen a stuck Panther there once, and now someone else has reported it too. I've only seen that in the 1.0 version though (which is what's available for download). JC has 1.2 and that's what I'm playing, and I haven't seen it. Trying to determine if it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this problem today. The tank was knocked out and ended up underneath the bridge somehow. I couldnt get anything past it except for infantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's got to be a bug in the bridge routines. At first I thought it was how I had the river banks, but they shouldn't be intersecting the bridge at all now. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.

      Delete
    2. I think I have the bridge issue sorted out. I've been able to drive a Panther across the south bridge without it getting stuck or falling through several times in a row. I even had one going across at speed get killed halfway across and it slid to the far side!

      Chris, I'll send you the updated file to try.

      Delete