Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Flaspoint Campaigns: Red Storm

A quick screenshot before signing off for the night.  Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm was released today, and all I can say is that this game is fun.  If you played the original Flashpoint: Germany, the basic game system here is very similar, but refined.  Beyond that, the maps are more functional and there are a lot more maps and scenarios.  FPC:RS feels like a very polished, very playable simulation of modern warfare.

Recon elements of 2nd Squadron, 11th ACR scout for the enemy in the scenario "Black Horse"
The game gets very high marks from me for designing the entire game engine around command and control.  The variable turn-length system is incredibly innovative and models the OODA decision loop concept very well. I've found the interface very easy to pick up - no doubt helped by my time spent playing its predecessor - and the game very, very playable.  Like Command Ops, this is a game that let's you focus on being a commander and not a micro-manager.

More later.  So far I've only played the tutorial and one scenario, but I'm really, really enjoying it!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to buy it. Looks like a lot of fun. I read a short forum post about the use of air assets in the game. I like how they made it a part of the game in terms of air to ground attacks and helicopters but didn't try to get try to simulate air combat over a battlefield.

    ReplyDelete